Ardent Light is the English translation of the Spanish surname Luzardo which is the last name of the founders Ngoc (pronounced like “knock”) and José Alberto Luzardo (a.k.a. JAL pronounced like “Hal”). Ardent in English means enthusiastic or passionate and Light is the source of illumination to help dispel darkness and ignorance so we can see a whole new world of possibilities. Ardent Light was created in 2010 to help spread peace and enlightenment during this time of massive change and turmoil.
Why We Are In Costa Rica
I thought that being close to nature, being in a pristine environment, was more conducive to a holistic healing center and practice, as well as an ideal place for my golden years of retirement. I came to Costa Rica to find the perfect land and learn the best way to develop it. While in Costa Rica I realized that my personal goals could be stretched to an even more ambitious goal: to create a self-sustainable community of highly conscious people, an ecovillage of neighbors who care about each other. I decided to share our land with those ready to contribute with their effort and financial resources. Because I know that money is an obstacle for many well-intentioned and hard-working young adults, retirees, families, and singles looking for a new start, I strive to make our community project affordable. Our community members are investors of The Ardent Light Self-Sustainability project and as such they have the right to live on the land, use the land for their own endeavors and projects, eat the food, drink the water, consume the energy produced from the land, and receive part of the profit generated by Ardent Light Self-Sustainability. In short, they have the right to use and enjoy the resources of the land in harmony with everyone and in a self-sustainable way. ~ JAL
I was driven by a vision from humanity’s Collective Heart of humanity’s Golden Age. In this future (which already exists in the fabric of Time and Space), I saw a world full of happy, healthy, vibrant people living in harmony with all of Nature and the Cosmos. Everything is FREE. Money and government are no longer needed because we healed our own personal and collective wounds and therefore are able to trust each other again; have individual sovereignty through self-governing, cooperating, intentional communities (ecovillages); share goods and services in a sharing/gift/resource-based economy; and restore Mother Earth back to her original pristine state. My mission (which I feel is the mission of all humanity) is to do our part to usher in this amazing future all of our descendants will inherit. ~ Ngoc
To learn more about why we chose Costa Rica and what we think is the cause of all problems on Earth and how we can reverse them, see the following articles written by Ngoc: Why Are We Moving to Costa Rica? and Our ‘Fall’ From Grace & Our Return to Eden.
The Ardent Light Ecovillage Community
We have a set of values that we foster and apply that are rooted in family unity and the well-being of children, who are our future. We believe in:
- wearing clothes in public
- monogamy (see Monogamy: The Ultimate Path to Spiritual Enlightenment blog article)
- being sober or fully conscious/grounded by avoiding drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and psychedelics like marijuana and Ayahuasca (see Beyond the Earth Matrix: Soul Harvesting in the Cosmic Matrix & How to Free Yourself)
- being financially responsible
- a strong work ethic (accountable and reliable)
- commitment (we do not give up when the “going gets tough”)
- doing what we say (making promises we can keep, also known as integrity)
- the beneficial use of technology and some modern conveniences
- being practical and realistic by avoiding extremism and taking the middle path in many aspects of Life to help reduce chaos and encourage balance, peace, harmony, and practical idealism
Founding Members (The Luzardo Family) — click a photo or name below to learn more about each of us
People Who Are Interested
It took us 11 months in Costa Rica to find the Ardent Light Motherland and almost 2 additional months to buy it and move onto the land. Since then we have been blessed with so many people who have come to spend time with us–volunteers, interns, visitors, many of who are interested in joining us and are waiting for the right circumstances in their lives to do it. As of 11/19/2016, we have a waiting list of 51 people who have expressed interest in the possibility of joining the Ardent Light Community. We have not technically formed a community yet because questions regarding how we will exactly live and work together to achieve our mutual goals (i.e., our community’s bylaws) need to be figured out first. We have been working on the Ardent Light Community document and its related Agreements shortly after we moved onto the Ardent Light Motherland on July 30, 2014 and it is the most difficult document we have ever had to work on because so many lives are affected.
Though there are people who are very interested in joining us, we are not ready for them yet and/or they are not ready for us yet. We are taking the necessary amount of time to prepare ourselves mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, legally, and financially for a community because to accomplish our mission, failure is not an option. We need to make this right from the beginning since statistically 90% of communities end up failing due to interpersonal conflict, financial problems, and a lack of a clear and effective self-governance structure that fairly balances individual freedom with the needs of the collective and fosters trust among strangers. We also need to be very selective about who we accept as a part of our community since we have a lot of work to accomplish together and cannot spend most of our time in interpersonal conflict allowing it to derail or significantly slow down our progress. This does NOT mean that we believe we are better or superior to anyone else. It just means we want to be very practical and be conscious of the Law of Cause and Effect.
If you are interested in the possibility of joining the Ardent Light Community, please see the Internships, Retreats, Volunteering page to learn about our initial screening process.
We are currently in the infrastructure construction phase. JAL invented a new cob mixture that does not require much clay in the soil and uses no sand. By using cardboard pulp in place of the sand and clay, a new cob papercrete that is very hard and enduring is formed. In addition to our pre-existing infrastructure, we have:
- A nearly complete new yoga deck that can double up as a platform for tents. An outdoor communal cob kitchen, dining, and living area with guest bathrooms will be constructed to the right of the new yoga deck, and two single tent platforms that can double-up as decks for private 1-on-1 or individual yoga sessions will be constructed to the left of the new yoga deck
- The beginnings of a new outdoor gym that currently consists of parallel and pull-up bars with more exciting and fun features to be added later such as a large in-ground trampoline, Olympic gymnastic cross-fit rings, ping-pong tables, etc. An indoor gym with different equipment or features will also be developed at a later time.
- Began the construction of three cob guest cabins each with its own private bathroom. A fourth cob guest cabin will be started shortly after these three are completed.
- Five cob cabins (1 for JAL and Ngoc, 1 for each Luzardo kid, and 1 for visiting relatives of the Luzardo family) with private communal facilities (to be shared among the Luzardo family and their relatives) will be constructed after the four cob guest cabins are completed.
We have a lot more infrastructure development planned, but we will focus on the above for now as this will take us a considerable amount of time since we are using natural, slow-building methods.
See the Current Projects page to see videos, more pictures, and learn how we are progressing.
Purpose of This Web Site
The Ardent Light web site is where we will share inspiration and information about why we need to be self-sufficient (free ourselves from the need for money as much as is possible) and how we can be self-sufficient such as:
- Intentional Community/Ecovillage (a sustainable alternative for achieving true financial FREEdom)
- Sustainable Building
- Sustainable Energy (off-the-grid electricity, water, gas, fuel)
- Biodynamic Organic Farming
- How to produce many other products you need to live and thrive
- How to cooperate with other communities for those things you cannot produce yourself
The Ultimate Ideal Goal is to Offer Everything for FREE
The key to achieving FREEdom from money is to make sure that we are clear that our ultimate goal is not about making money, but reducing our dependency on it as much as possible. When we no longer need money, we can share or offer everything for FREE. That does not mean that in the beginning we cannot charge for our products or services (because unfortunately, we will need some money to start us on the path to self-sufficiency since most people will not just give us machinery or tools for free for example), but that we make it clear that our end goal is to get the price down over time as we become more self-sufficient until in the end we can eventually offer it for FREE. Zero expenses means zero need for money. We are doing our best to eliminate all unnecessary expenses, and becoming fully self-sufficient, and inspiring others to be self-sufficient, will enable us to eventually eliminate all other expenses (see The Path to Total FREEdom for ALL to learn more).
All proceeds are greatly appreciated and will be responsibly directed to:
- Self-sufficiency projects, including greenhouses and food forests to provide fresh organic food for guests/interns, guest/intern cabins with shared and private bathrooms, communal kitchen, dining, and living areas for guests/interns, educational hands-on workshops, etc.
- Community outreach projects such as a scholarship fund for internship programs for those who cannot afford them and adoption of orphans by the tribe
We are just in the beginning stages of all this and hope you will join us in our quest for Utopia for All.